Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thoughtful Thursday: Learning From Traditions

On this Thoughtful (Thanksgiving) Thursday, there's one other t-word on my mind....Tradition (and as I write "tradition" I can't help thinking of the musical Fiddler on the Roof, but I digress...). 

Since having baby bookworm a couple of short years ago, it's been important to me to not only teach her how to read, or how to count, or how to climb the stairs, but also to teach her practical skills, values, ethnic heritage, and a sense of identity and belonging. 

Today I am sure you are partaking in your own Thanksgiving traditions.  Whether that involves feeding the homeless at a local shelter, or making Thanksgiving day crafts, or saying a special prayer, or watching that big football game on TV, or eating a special dessert, or running in a Turkey Trot race - your child is learning some very valuable life skills that will help to define who he or she IS. 

And that's a pretty cool way to learn if you ask me.

I'm not sure if we have any "special" or deliberate traditions surrounding Thanksgiving.  We will be spending it at baby bookworm's grandparents.  It will be a small and traditional gathering.  But, I'm certain that she'll feel a sense of family and of love. 

There is one deliberate tradition that I would like to begin this holiday season, however, and it's one that happens to involve something I feel very passionately about - children's books!  So, on December 1st we will start a "25 books of Christmas" tradition.  It's certainly not new or original, but will be new to us.  I can't wait to share it with all of you.  More on how to create your own literary tradition to come....



Happy Thanksgiving!

What is your child learning through tradition today?   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Widgets