Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Skin You Live In: Celebrating Differences

Martin Luther King Jr. Day was the perfect opportunity to revisit a topic that we haven't explicitly discussed in awhile - diversity.  Like most of the lessons that baby bookworm and I do - they begin with a book!

So, at the library yesterday we picked up:



by Michael Tyler
illustrated by David Lee Csicsko

This book celebrates the uniqueness of every skin tone, and with its fun rhyming text, is a very baby and toddler friendly way to talk about differences in people as well as acceptance.



After we read The Skin You Live In, we looked at the pictures in a few books that show children of many different races and colors.  We talked about their skin tones being dark, light, or somewhere in between.

David's Drawings by Cathryn Falwell


Then, I got out my stash of National Geographic magazines and we flipped through them together to look and find people of different skin tones.  I cut them out, and baby bookworm glued them on sheet of black construction paper.  We included a map in our collage (also from the magazine) to show that people of different skin tones come from all different parts of the world.



We also took some time to reflect on our little project.  When I asked her what was in her picture she said, "Look at my beautiful picture.  It has people of different kinds of colors of skin."



I couldn't have said it better myself baby bookworm.  It is beautiful.

I hope everyone got a chance to celebrate differences and diversity yesterday!

If you are interested in other books on this topic, check out my posts on self-esteem and multiculturalism.

Sharing this post at: Classified Mom, The Sunday Showcase


4 comments:

  1. What a lovely lesson! I love seeing how others teach diversity and acceptance! I discussed diversity and skin colors with my son with a book called Freedom Summer. At the end of the day he was singing "We're different on the outside...but not on the inside!!"

    http://moms-heart.blogspot.com/2012/01/freedom-summer-were-different-on.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a hard topic for little ones to understand I think, but important! I'll check it out. She definitely loves to sing!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful activity to celebrate differences. Thanks for sharing. I am a new Twitter follower visiting from No Time For Flashcards. Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicky for checking us out! Will follow back. Those cupcakes look delicious on your site!

      Delete

Blogger Widgets