Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Top 5 Favorite Halloween Board Books for Babies

It's October, so I think it's fair game to really dive into the Halloween books.  OK, OK...so we've been reading them since the end of August, but at least I can be open about it now.  What can I say, we love Halloween and Halloween-y stuff.  And we especially love Halloween books. 

This Tuesday I'm listing our favorite Halloween Board Books....which would be very suitable for both babies and toddlers.  Next Tuesday I'll list our top 10 all-time favorite Halloween tales.

Trust me, these will get you and your baby bookworm into the spirit of the season!

Five Little Pumpkins
Pictures by Dan Yaccarino
Harper Growing Tree

A few weeks ago baby bookworm and I learned the song 5 Little Pumpkins.  When I saw the book version of the song in Barnes and Noble, it was much to our delight.  The illustrations bring the rhyme to life with boldly colored jack-o-lanterns that each have a different expression.  I highly recommend this book, but I think it's even better if you learn the tune and hand motions that go along with it.  Baby bookworm can now sing/read it all by herself!  And by the way, this book is a fun way to practice counting to five.

One Halloween Night
by Salina Yoon

We recently picked this book up for a good deal at TJ Maxx.  In the past 24 hours we've read it a ton too!  It is a play on the nursery rhyme "1, 2 Buckle My Shoe" but adds a spooky spin on the old classic.  Baby bookworm likes it because it's a lift-the-flap book - she loves to see what "Halloween-y" object is hidden under each flap.  From an educational standpoint, I love that this is a counting book that  incorporates the concept of "group" by encouraging the reader to "count groups of 3 and groups of 4" and so forth in the pictures.  Baby bookworm actually asked me, "what does group mean?"  I give this Halloween math lesson a thumbs up!

This Is Not A Pumpkin
by Bob Staake

This book is so great because it's simple.  The illustrations are nothing more than a white page with a "pumpkin" (or so you think).  Each page has a few words that go with the illustration; the ending of this book is a true delight that made us both smile.  I'm sure you can probably guess the plot of this "not a pumpkin" tale, but I won't spoil the fun.


Mouse's First Halloween
by Lauren Thompson and illustrated by Buket Erdogan

On a spooky night mouse creeps around and finds a few sights and sounds that scare him!  But, to his relief, he realizes that these sights and sounds are not so scary afterall.  This book has repeating text that is great fun for kids, and baby bookworm especially loves when mouse squeaks "Eek!" The illustrations have a softness about them that give the book an eerie, yet kid-friendly Halloween feel.  Baby bookworm was introduced to this book last year when she was 10 months, and it is still a great hit this year at 22 months.  I'm thinking it will be one of our favorite Halloween tales for years to come too.  It is available in hardcover and board book form.

Spooky
A slide and find book by Roger Priddy

Spooky is a very cool book.  In fact, I think it's my favorite out of all of these because it's so packed full of learning in a fun and um...spooky way.  In essence this book is a compilation of activities/games where the reader has to slide a panel to reveal the answer.  A baby would love this "peek-a-boo" game, and an older kid would love to actually play and learn.  There's numbers, shapes, matching and a couple others. 

So, yes, we are anxiously awaiting Halloween in this house, but in the meantime
will keep enjoying these books.

I really hope you get a chance to check out a couple of them.  You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Widgets