Friday, October 7, 2011

Just for Fun Friday: Shel Silverstein Poetry

Here's how our morning went.  Daddy bookworm's alarm goes off waaaay early this morning - like 5 a.m. early.  I wake up and think, let me check the temperature in baby bookworm's room (but really, I'm also  checking to make sure she is breathing - will I do this forever?  I really hope not). 

So I walk into her room and notice she's wide awake, but still laying down.  Hmm....if I tiptoe out of the room, what are the chances she'll just think I was in her dream?

Not likely I guess because she says, "I want to go into the other room." The "other room" is our guest room - where we read stories before bed, as part of our usual bedtime routine.  "OK," I say.

I should have known what was coming next.  The second her little head hits the pillow in the "other room" she says excitedly, "Wanna read a book in bed?"

Um....no.  Not. Even. A. Little. Bit.  Hello, can't you see it's still dark out!? 

Luckily she fell back to sleep within a half hour or so (we did NOT read books in bed, by the way), and luckily it's Friday which is our reading "just for fun" day.  That is, a day where we read silly books, or books at the park, or books on our bellies, or whatever books our little hearts desire.  We read them for fun, enjoyment, and pure pleasure.  No explicit print referencing, or dialogic reading, or follow-up activities. 

Just. For. Fun. 

So on this Friday we are reading poetry.  My favorite poetry from Shel Silverstein's Where the Sidewalk Ends.  We also have A Light in the Attic and Runny Babbit, but Where the Sidewalk Ends is the best collection in my opinion.



I actually used to read this poetry to baby bookworm when she was teeny tiny.  Then she went through a phase where she wouldn't sit for my poetry readings (there's many words, and not nearly enough pictures in these collections).  BUT, I think she will sit still for a poem or two now - and actually enjoy it. 

Here's the poems we are enjoying for fun today.

The Crocodile's Toothache - a poem about a crocodile's revenge on a sinister dentist

Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me Too - a poem about the adventures of Ickle Me, Pickle Me, and Tickle Me too who go for a ride in a flying shoe

Band-Aids - a poem about a boy with lots of band-aids but not one cut or sore!  (hmm...reminds me of someone else who likes to ask to wear band-aids)

Sick - a poem about a little girl who makes LOTS of funny excuses to get out of going to school (this is my all-time favorite Shel Silverstein poem)

I hope your Friday is full of fun.  Happy Weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I love your blog and don't always get the time I would like to comment. I nominated you for the The Versatile Blogger award. Thanks for sharing such wonderful information. You can get more information about the award here...
    http://learninghypothesis.blogspot.com/2011/10/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Widgets