Monday, September 10, 2012

Remembering 9/11 with a little book called September Roses

Awhile back baby bookworm selected a book from the library called September Roses. She was drawn to the book because of its cute and tiny size, and I shoved it into our library bag without even looking at it, or giving it much thought.


(click on the image to be directed to more info on this book from Amazon)

It was only later that evening when I started to read it with her that I realized it was about 9/11. And I say started because I never could finish reading the book. Aloud, anyway. I read a few pages, and then drifted off into silence as baby bookworm watched me read the book to myself. It, of course, made me cry. 

I'm not certain September Roses is a book to be read with kids 3 and under. I don't think that it would fully be understood by them, anyway, and for me...for me, it was difficult to hold back the emotion that was aroused by reading it. I wasn't sure that it was something that I wanted to dive into quite yet with my little one. So we never did read it together - cover to cover.

But, I thought I would share it because it's a touching story that deeply moved me, and brought me back to that day...

I was living in NYC on 9/11. Here is my experience and what I can remember:

I remember being awakened by more sirens than you can possibly ever imagine, ever - all charging full speed down 2nd Ave where I lived.

I remember a phone call and a voice message saying "Hey, turn on the TV...have you seen what happened at the World Trade Center? Are you guys all right?".

I remember turning on the TV and watching in awe as the towers crumbled only blocks from my apartment.

I remember walking North - it seemed as if everyone in all of Manhattan was trying to get North.

I remember thinking I was in some kind of terrible dream - that this couldn't possibly be happening because "stuff" like this only happened in movies starring Will Smith.

I remember the outfit I had on that day - a bright blue tank and black capri pants.

I remember feeling afraid in the sense that a bomb might suddenly drop from the sky, yet safe from "NYC things" that would have normally worried me (like being mugged), because all of humanity was equally scared that a bomb might suddenly drop from of the sky.

I remember cell phones not working.

I remember hearing a girl - the one person in all of NYC who could actually get cell phone reception - say to a caller on the other end, "Well, I guess this means we won't be going to dinner in the Village this weekend".

I remember thinking - only in Manhattan.

I remember feeling thankful that I didn't personally know anyone involved in the tragedy, and yet feeling so sad because we were all affected somehow, forever.   


I'm not certain when or how I will explain my personal experience of 9/11 to baby bookworm,  or any of the events that occurred on this day in history to her. Maybe I'll be a coward and leave it up to her teachers and textbooks.

Maybe in a few years I'll work up the courage to read September Roses with her from cover to cover...aloud. Maybe. 

I do know that tonight, on the eve of Sept 11th 2012, I will hold my "baby" a little bit closer and feel thankful for all that I have.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Widgets