Monday, April 30, 2012

Goodnight iPAD: Screen Free Week April 30th to May 6th

This week is screen free week. What does that mean? Well, if you would like to participate it means that for one week you turn off your screens.

iphones, ipads, TVs, Macs, PCs. I'm honestly not sure if e-readers "count" - but it's the one time of the year when families, schools, and communities are encouraged to turn off their screens to "read, daydream, explore, enjoy nature, and enjoy spending time with family and friends."

Obviously I'm not participating 100%. So, yes, I'm being hypocritical in writing a post about screen-free week, during screen-free week.

But....while I won't be unplugged 100% this week, I do vow to turn our screens off more than I normally would.

In all honesty, baby bookworm and I don't watch a ton of TV anyway (I watch the occasional episode of Big Bang Theory, and she watches the occasional episode of Caillou or the Backyardigans on Netflix streaming). We do a lot of screen-free activities - read books, play games, go to the park.

I do know that there are parents out there who don't let their children watch ANY TV.

God bless them.

I wish I was one of them, and I think I possibly could be if I weren't home with a non-napping two-year all day. A mother needs her sanity at some point, and I thank Caillou for my 20 minutes from time to time.

Of course, when baby bookworm was a baby we did have a no screen policy, as the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends. But now that she's a big-girl two-year old. Game on. (ha ha - just kidding. They still say to limit TV viewing to a couple of hours).

The computer, honestly, is more my vice. I have a tendency to try to write while my daughter eats breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner. Mostly because it's the only time I can! And, much to the dismay of my husband, I am a COMPULSIVE Facebook checker. I know it's an issue. My iphone has been my downfall.

So...this week I do vow to check Facebook less. Lots less, in fact. And, I do vow to not let baby bookworm see me at the computer. 

Like mother, baby bookworm likes the computer, too. I've been amazed at how quickly she learned to manipulate my laptop! She knows how to access the internet and go to "pbskids.org". She also plays with iphone apps at least once a day.

In honor of screen-free week, however, I'm going to try to limit (if not exclude) her screen time. Yes, and mine. Sigh.

It is a good thing though, I know. We have become an over-techy society. We are tuned in and checked in at all times.....  In fact, if I don't have my iphone with me I often panic!

This week baby bookworm and I read a great book that I think captures our reliance on technology quite well.

Check it out. You can even read it online at We Give Books, for free.

 

It's a parody on the classic book by Margaret Wise Brown - Goodnight Moon.

It will make you chuckle, and it will make you think at the same time. Your child will likely know of every single thing mentioned in the book, so he's likely to enjoy.

Oh, but I suppose if you are truly participating in this screen-free week's celebration - then wait till next week!

What do you think about "our" obsession with technology and screens? A good thing or a bad thing? 

1 comment:

  1. Nana thinks it is wonderful, less time on the computer!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Widgets