Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Five Books That Will Warm Your Spirit This Winter

If the cold weather and after-holiday blahs have got you down - here are 5 cute books that are sure to help you find delight in the winter weather.  And, if you are lucky enough to live in an area of the world that is warm year round - I think these books will help you daydream about all of the good and the bad you are missing.

Frozen Noses by Jan Carr and illustrated by Dorothy Donohue


Yes, winter is about frozen noses and bundling up in snowsuits and boots, but it's also about fun things like drinking cocoa, having snowball fights, and ice skating.  Frozen Noses captures the joy of all things winter.  The illustrations, with their three dimensional appearance, are also captivating.  A perfectly cozy tale for both babies and toddlers.
\

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats


A classic.  In fact, if you would ask me to name the one book that I think of when I hear the word winter, The Snowy Day comes to mind immediately.  It's a book about a boy named Peter that captures the utter childhood excitement of a snowy day.  And, in fact, after reading this book, you'll hope you have a snowy day soon.  This book also happens to be the 1963 Caldecott Award winner.

Grandmother Winter by Phyllis Root and pictures by Beth Krommes


A book that reads like poetry.  A tale of nature's response to winter.  With beautifully colorful illustrations that appear to be etched into the pages of the book - Grandmother Winter gets you in the mood to cuddle up and read this book over and over.

White Snow, Bright Snow by Alvin Tresselt and illustrated by Roger Duvoisin


Written in 1947, this book and its illustrations have an "old-timey" feel - which is why I find it really comforting.  The story follows a postman, a farmer, the policeman and his wife, some rabbits, and (of course) the children as they prepare for and experience the snowfall.  White Snow Bright Snow mixes narrative with poetic text; and coupled with the illustrations (also Caldecott Award winning) that seem to take you back to a simpler time in life, this book is sure to be a hit in your household this winter.

Snow by Uri Shulevitz


The whole city is gray, and then....a snowflake.  An excited little boy exclaims, "It's snowing".  We've all felt the joy of seeing one little snowflake transform life from "gray" to a snow covered dreamlike winter wonder world.  Snow captures that amazing moment simply, yet perfectly, and it has captured our hearts.  We read this book for the first time last winter season, and I'm sure it's one we will return to for winter seasons to come.

3 comments:

  1. Ack! LOVE your blog! As an early-childhood educator, blogger, mommy, and lover of children's books myself, I love this! I love the books, the activities, and the research you share! I will definitely come back and will probably be linking in the future! What a fabulous job you have done and are doing on this! LOVE it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the love! I only wish I had a little more time these days to write even more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There a couple on this list I haven't read and I can't wait to check them out! This is my first time to your blog and after browsing around I can tell I'm going to LOVE it! I've already written down several books for our next trip to the library. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Widgets