Monday, December 12, 2011

A Trip Down Memory Lane: We All Sing with the Same Voice

I have to admit that every once in awhile I get a children's book for me.  Not that baby bookworm won't enjoy it, or learn from it, or want to read it 100 times in a row, but it's a book that transports me back in time to when I was a little girl. 

Today that book is We All Sing with the Same Voice
by J. Phillip Miller and Sheppard M. Green (illustrated by Paul Meisel). 



If you grew up in the 70s and 80s on the greatest early childhood show ever created (a.k.a Sesame Street), then this title probably sounds a little familiar.  It was a skit on Sesame Street where a bunch of kids playing on a playground lip synced the lyrics to a song with the chorus of "we all sing with the same voice, the same song, the same voice..."  The camera would focus on one child as he or she "sang" a few words, then it would switch to a shot of another child "singing", then another.  Take a look and see if this jogs your memory.   



This skit has stuck with me since childhood.  Quite possibly my favorite skit ever on the show (although there are so many great ones, it's hard to pick a favorite).  And apparently it really IS one of the most memorable because if I'm not mistaken, it is included in the 2 disc 40th Anniversary of Sesame Street DVD (which we own and enjoy often). 



So, when I came across a book today at the library based on this wonderful childhood memory - imagine my giddiness!  And when I realized that it came with a CD, I actually did think it was my lucky day (oh, the little things in life).  The illustrations in the book are detailed and follow along with the lyrics perfectly; they bring the song to life in a different way than the original skit does, and I found it quite enjoyable to discover the lyrics in a new light. 

I love it.  Baby bookworm is gonna love it, too. 

What children's books take you on a trip down memory lane? 

1 comment:

  1. I do the same! I bought Bushel and a Peck by Rosemary Wells for myself because my Nana used to sing it to me!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Widgets