Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Top 5 Favorite Books to Give as Gifts to New Parents

If you are like me, then every time you turn around someone you know is having, or just had a baby.  Here are my favorite go-to books as gifts for parents who have just welcomed their special bundle of joy into the world.

The Boss Baby by Marla Frazee

If you know someone who just had a baby boy, then this book makes the perfect gift.  Parents of a newborn can easily identify with the baby boy at the center of this book who has somehow become the "boss" of the household; he sets up his "office" right in the middle of the living room, calls meetings in the middle of the night, and has his very own "jet".....sound familiar?  The pictures accompany the story well - the depiction of the tired and worn out parents is spot on, and the images of the "boss baby" in a tie and onesie pjs are too cute for words.

Having checked this book out from our library on a number of occasions with baby bookworm, I know that it not only appeals to parents but to children, too. It's creative and clever, and even if you aren't looking for a gift for someone else, you can always buy it for you and your baby bookworm to enjoy for yourselves.

Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes by Mem Fox and Illustrated by Helen Oxenbury

A cute rhyming book about babies born in different places, who all have one thing in common - 10 little fingers and 10 little toes.  Helen Oxenbury has illustrated many books, but the adorable chubby babies of many skin tones in Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes, I personally think, are some of her best. Given as a gift, this book will make any newbie parent want to squeeze and kiss and cuddle up next to their very own "truly divine" baby.


I Love You More by Laura Duksta and Illustrated by Karen Keesler

This book is unique because it appears to never end, much like the love that any parent has for their child.  Once you read it in one direction, you flip it over and read it in the other.  In one direction it is a tale of a boy who asks his mother, "how much do you love me?" and in the other direction it is a tale of a mother who asks her son the very same question.  The two tales meet in the middle with a picture of the Earth with the words "I love you more than anything in the whole wide world". 

In my personal experience that's exactly how I felt the moment I laid eyes on baby bookworm.  Which is the exact reason I think it makes the perfect gift.


On The Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman

An eloquent and poetic tale about the uniqueness of a child.  Illustrations are soft and comforting, and this could easily become a parent and newborns favorite bedtime tale.  I received this book as a gift at my very own shower for baby bookworm, and we have both enjoyed it thoroughly over the past two years. 





Someday by Alison McGhee and Peter H. Reynolds

Although this book will undoubtedly bring any parent (especially ones of a newborn) to tears - I still think it makes a great gift and keepsake.  I think the book is truly beautiful and extremely moving - just like life.  In my opinion, Someday isn't really a book for children, but a poem about the stages of motherhood.  Trust me on this one, it has all the elements for a fabulous gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Widgets