Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Less Than A Week Till Halloween: 5 Monster Books To Help Set The Mood



Well since my post yesterday on monsters, I've got monsters on my mind!  Here's a short list of some cute and 'friendly' monster books.


1) Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

This book is a true classic (that has even been made into a movie, although I've never seen it).  I can remember my school librarian reading this book to my classroom in elementary school, and being mesmerized by the story and the pictures because there is something magical about them.  At heart, this is a story about a child's vivid imagination and the land of monsters (or wild things) that he creates to entertain himself while he is being punished in his room.  The story has a few (what I would consider famous) lines that are repeated, and if said with the proper enthusiasm like my school librarian said them so many years ago, I'm certain this tale will become one of your child's favorites, too.  Two thumbs up for a book that celebrates childhood imagination, and has withstood the test of time.

2) There's a Nightmare in My Closet by Mercer Mayer

This is another book that brings me right back to elementary school and has also withstood the test of time (I just saw it on display in Barnes & Noble and it was first published in the 60s). It is the tale of a little boy who is afraid of a nightmare (or monster) who lives in his closet.  It turns out, though, that this nightmare is a big wimp!  It's not a lengthy book, so I think a younger or older toddler would enjoy it.  If your child is anything like baby bookworm, he will thoroughly enjoy seeing this wimpy monster shed a tear or two instead of the other way around.




3) Five Ugly Monsters by Tedd Arnold

This book is similar to five little monkeys jumping on the bed, but only with monsters.  It's a fun version of the well-known song and book that nearly any toddler would love.  Work it into a theme on monsters, or into a math lesson - either way, I promise you will end up having a good time.



4) The Monster at the End of This Book by Jon Stone and illustrated by Michael Smollin

Our old pal Grover from Sesame Street is the lead character in this funny story.  What I like about this book is that it builds anticipation in the reader - you want to turn the pages of the story even though Grover is begging you (the reader) NOT to because there is a monster at the end of the book (and he is afraid of monsters)!  I won't spoil the ending, although I'm sure you can imagine where it might lead.  It's a really fun book for us because we can act completely silly - I have the most fun exclaiming "YOU TURNED ANOTHER PAGE!" and baby bookworm thinks it's hysterical. 




5) Go Away Big Green Monster by Ed Emberley

A book about a monster who appears and disappears as you turn the pages.  A good lesson for baby bookworms on parts of the face and colors!  If you are interested in a craft idea for this book, check out my post from yesterday.

I hope you enjoy making friends with all of these monsters as much as we did!

2 comments:

  1. With my second graders I read the story "Where the Wild Things Are" without showing the pictures. They then draw their own monsters. They love this even though they know the book. This is a great activity with any book to work on visualization. We then compare their pictures with the book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really great idea, Allyson!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Widgets