Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Two Points

Just two things I'd like to mention:

1) I added a "how to" page that I hope to contribute to once a month or so.  I meet a lot of parents (at the park, Babies R Us, birthday parties) who always ask me for "recommendations" of things they can do with their child.  So I thought it might be nice to have a specific place for "my recommendations" without having to read through all of the blog posts of what baby bookworm and I do (although you should read those too, especially for the book recommendations). 

The first "how to" is on creating a supportive literacy environment at home.  Let me know if anyone has any how to topics that they'd be interested in seeing here.  Topics to come include: How To Use and Not Use Flashcards Effectively, How to Use Dialogic Reading Strategies, and How to Get Started with Your Littlest Learner: Tips for Reading with Newborns

2) This may not be news to some of you but I stumbled upon this cool website yesterday.  It's the Children's Literacy Initiative or CLI and it's mission is to help teachers help children in reading and writing.  Their work is aimed at disadvantaged children in pre-k through grade 3 and they work primarily with teachers and students on the East Coast.  I'm not really sure why I hadn't heard about this organization sooner, but I thought I would share in case you hadn't either.  There are some good book recommendations on the website as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Widgets