Friday, April 15, 2011

Just for Fun Friday: Reading for Sheer Pleasure

Fridays have always been my favorite day of the week.  Even when I was working full time, I always looked forward to my Friday work day.  My husband disagrees and says that Saturdays are, in fact, the best day of the week because you don't actually have to go to work.  But, not me, I think Fridays are like Christmas Eve - sometimes the anticipation of something is more fun.  And to me, Friday was always the anticipation of 5:00 when work was over, possibly heading out to happy hour, dinner, a movie, and then I had sleeping in on Saturday mornings and waking up to the realization that I still had one more day off of work to enjoy. Ahhh...well, now that I'm a stay-at-home mom, Fridays don't quite hold the same allure, but I still really like them.  Just for old times sake, I like to keep the "fun" in Friday for baby bookworm and I.  So, today we read several books just for the sake of enjoying time together and having fun with books.  That's it.



Here's how this fun Friday went (Can you even believe how the meaning of this word has changed since becoming a mom to baby bookworm?!  I can't):

The Monster At the End of this Book
by Jon Stone and illustrated by Smollin

Baby bookworm and I have been reading this book since she was itty-bitty.  We actually have the board book version of it.  This book is a story about Grover, a monster from Sesame Street, who is actually afraid of the "monster" at the end of this book so he doesn't want the reader to turn the next page and bring him closer to, you guessed it, the end of the book.  But, it turns out that he IS the monster at the end of the book, and he's lovable and furry (and cute).  It's a really fun book for me to read because I can act completely silly.  Baby bookworm recognizes Grover from Sesame Street now, so enjoys it for that reason too.  I have the most fun exclaiming "YOU TURNED ANOTHER PAGE!"....I can be that actress I never got to be.  It also reinforces some concepts of print, by the way, as it directs baby bookworm to the END of the book.



The Boss Baby
by Marla Frazee

Hmm...does the title sound familiar?  Yes, in most families the baby is boss.  That's why this book is sooooo darn cute (and makes a great gift for new parents of a baby boy).  Baby bookworm and I read this story often and she likes it.  The illustrations are great - there's something very amusing about a baby in a tie with a briefcase who sets up his office right "smack dab" in the middle of the living room!  Baby bookworm talks about "boss baby" all the time.  Hmmm....I wonder if she's actually referring to herself in third person.




To finish up our fun Friday, we took a trip to the park.  Nothing like crisp, fresh air and sunshine after a long, long, ever so long, winter.  While I may not have sleeping in tomorrow to look forward to tonight, at least I have looking forward to seeing her adorable face in the morning......and enjoying many more good books together.  Gosh, how fun HAS changed.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE The Monster at the End of This Book! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Widgets